Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Coming Out

I have a couple confessions. And I'm not quite sure why I haven't made them common knowledge, because they're not the type of things one should keep secret. They explain a lot of me, and I shouldn't hide me to get more view counts or friends. If you want to know Miles Behn (henceforth known as Emily), you're in luck. It's time for some Radical Honesty.

My real name is Emily.
I'm an Open Theist.
I'm a Christian; I am a follower of Christ.
I support gay rights.
I do not think homosexuality is a sin.
I don't smoke.
I rarely drink.
Mega churches scare me.
I plan to wait to have sex until I'm married.
I've never actually cheated on a test.
Sometimes I don't do the reading, and bullshit my answers.
Yes, I swear sometimes.
I'm a vegetarian, but not because I love animals.
I don't believe in a literal translation of the Bible.
I don't think Christianity should be easy.
I don't believe in the seven day creation story.
I think the Bible should sometimes be reinterpreted by cultural context.
I've hidden a lot of these beliefs because of the negative connotations with most of the words.
I'm an egalitarian.
I'm shaped by what people think of me.
I'm nothing like I was in high school, and sometimes I wonder if that is necessarily a good thing.
I've let my relationship with God fall to the wayside. We haven't spoken in a while.
I have a superiority complex.
I don't believe in pushing my agenda on others.
I believe in inter-religious dialogue.
I don't think your field of study in college defines your career path.
I'm not going to college so I can get a job.
I'm a skeptic.
One of the reason I write is to prove something to my mother.
I can be a conspiracy theorist.
I don't have much faith in the human race as a whole.
I will lie to protect others/myself.
I believe women can be pastors.
I believe I am equal to you no matter your race, gender, education, income or system of beliefs.


Tear me apart if you so desire; disagree with me if you must. This is who I am. It may change, it may not. All I know is what is true in this moment, right now. And I'm in love with who I am.

Emily

9 comments:

  1. I've been wondering this for a while ever since you posted that YouTube video saying Miles Behn was your pen name. It's great that you love who you are, I feel like I don't do that enough. It's nice to finally meet Emily, because I feel like I've gotten to know Miles really well and she's starting to grow on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the most platonic way possible, I am in love with who you are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also hoping to be more mysterious with that comment. I don't know how it knows my name is Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *gasp* You gave away your secret!

    I just thought I'd let you know I'm stalking you on here. And now you have my blog address, too.

    I love you, Emily. You are an amazing person.

    -Melissa K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this one a lot, thanks for being so open :) ...wait, not that you're closed...ummm, yeah.

    I also am not going to school to get a job. I really like that one

    ReplyDelete
  6. also...Carrie C? ...MY Melissa K, the one I know? Hey guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew - thank you so much. That means a lot that you are starting to like me/Miles. :) (I even used a emoticon to prove that that did in fact make me smile)

    Ally - I am so extremely in love with you too. So much. I cannot wait to watch your life unfold.

    Carrie - You are a wonderful roommate. Thank you for your support, Dolly Levi.

    Melissa - Thank you! I think you are an amazing person in turn. Also, I feel like I should prove something know that I know YOU are watching this blog...

    Anna - You are welcome for being so open. I highly recommend it. It's refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy crap, awesome! you are fantastic. thanks for that, it was so fun to read. i kinda want to write my own right now, and learn to love myself like that. you are so wonderful. thanks!

    ReplyDelete