Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Question of Integrity

I woke up late,
ate breakfast,
wrote
and edited.

Oh, and I made this.



While in England we reenacted the Cobb scene from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

So, the day hasn't been a total bust, and I do feel accomplished, but all day I've found myself questioning authorial integrity. I'm working on a young adult novella, following the life of a girl who must watch the destruction of her best friend. The problem however is that it is sort of based on real life. The characters feel pretty darn real because they are real. The situation is real, the pain is real (if re-written). So how much should I change? And how much can I keep?

Where is the line between fiction and reality? And who will I hurt if I walk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment